Women suffer in silence with bladder and kidney problems. Urinary tract infections, bladder leakage, and pelvic pain negatively impact a woman’s quality of life. Suffer no more! Your female urology specialist is just a few clicks away.
Telemedicine gives you access to a female urology specialist from the comfort of your home.
What is a female urology specialist?
A female urology specialist is a urologist with an area of expertise in treating urologic conditions specific to women. The specialist may have undergone formal fellowship training (Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery or FPM-RS) or have extensive clinical experience in treating women.
Female urology specialists should not only have an excellent bedside manner, they should have expertise in treating:
- Urinary tract infections (active and recurrent)
- Chronic pelvic pain
- Interstitial cystitis (IC)
- Urinary incontinence (bladder leakage)
- Pelvic prolapse
- Sexual dysfunction in women
What will a female urology specialist do?
An evaluation with a female urology specialist will start with a thorough history. Yes these conditions are embarrassing but it’s important that you provide an accurate and detailed account of your symptoms.
Detailed does not mean telling us about your knee pain or headaches. Remember to focus on the lady business. Also don’t play Dr. Google. We will come up with the diagnosis, you should focus on describing your symptoms.
Expect a female urology specialist to perform a physical exam. Specifically a female urology specialist will examine the “private area” to evaluate for:
- Polyps, narrowings or masses of the urethral opening
- Atrophy or scarring of the vagina (seen after menopause)
- Pelvic prolapse or bulging from the vagina
- Excess mobility of the urethra with coughing and associated presence of urine leakage
After an exam, a female urology specialist will check a urine sample for blood cells and bacteria. An ultrasound after you urinate will confirm whether your bladder is emptying. If indicated, your female urology specialist may request bladder function tests called urodynamics.
How do I choose a female urology specialist?
Female urology specialists might be in short supply depending on where you live. If you’re lucky enough to have a well respected female urology specialist in your community then count your blessings!
If you do have some choices and or will need to travel to see a female urology specialist then here are the most important factors in choosing your specialist:
- Online reputation: researching reviews on Google or social media will help you identify a top female urology specialist.
- Website content: anyone passionate about female urology issues will have a website rich with useful information.
- Experience: there’s a sweet spot with experience. You want a female urology specialist utilizing the latest therapies and treatment guidelines but not someone so “green” they haven’t yet had enough clinical experience.
Can I visit a female urologist online?
With telemedicine, visiting a female urology specialist has never been easier. Telemedicine provides several advantages to in person visits:
- Eliminates travel: unless you live in a big city there’s probably not even a female urology specialist anywhere close your home. Don’t worry, we’ll come to you for a virtual house call.
- Eliminates insurance worries: cash visits for $89 means no worries about being in network with your female urology specialist.
- Save time: most female urology specialists are BUSY. That means long wait times for an appointment and long wait times at the office.
- Privacy: female urology issues are embarrassing. Walls in doctor’s offices are thin. You don’t need anyone other than your specialist knowing the business about your business.
- Focused attention: on a telemedicine visit you are our priority. In most offices doctors face countless distractions.
You might be saying to yourself, “But how can you examine me or run tests with a telemedicine visit?” Great points.
First, you can perform an exam with telemedicine. Remember you are in the privacy of your home. If your female urology specialist feels an exam is necessary, then a quick view of the private area on your secure video visit is possible and more importantly safe.
Additionally, a female urology specialist can make initial recommendations via telemedicine based on a thorough history alone. Many improvements are possible with lifestyle changes and medications. Urine samples and imaging can be performed at local centers near your home.
Lastly, when and if you need a hands-on approach, your telemedicine female urology specialist can refer you to the best female urology surgeon. The urology community is small and chances are we know a great surgeon for your issue.
How to have a telemedicine visit with a female urology specialist
At VirtuCare we make healthcare easy. Click here to create an account and visit with a female urology specialist today. Our doctors are experienced in treating women with compassion. Plus you don’t even need to leave your home.
Still not sure about telemedicine? Click here to learn more about the benefits of telemedicine and how it may even be better than an in person visit.
As a woman you deserve access to a female urology specialist. Where you live and what type of insurance you have, shouldn’t determine the type of care you receive. Telemedicine with VirtuCare provides you with the care you deserve.